If you have a senior or are a senior, chances are you are already thinking about what dorm decor and essentials you need! I am super excited to decorate but because I have a boy, I am not sure how much decorating he is going to let me do! He specifically told me, “No throw pillows!” and I was devastated! How can you decorate without throw pillows? ha!
So whether you get to fully decorate with throw pillows or just need the essentials, I asked my past seniors what were their favorite gifts and what they wish they had had when entering college as a freshman! Here is a list of must-have items for your dorm room!
15 Must-Have Items For Your Dorm
- Desk Lamp – late night studying may be required so having a desk lamp to help you see while your roommate is sleeping is a good idea. Here is a great option from Target!
2. Towels – According to my past seniors, this is an item you will get as a gift from a lot of people so you may not have to purchase towels yourself. But they are a must whether you receive as a gift or purchase yourself!
3. Bedding – You will definitely need sheets, pillowcases and comforter or duvet for your dorm! Be sure to check what size bed your specific dorm will have before purchasing! A popular size is an extra-long twin! These sheets from Bed, Bath and Beyond have pockets on the side for your phone which I think is genius!
4. Power Strip – There will be lots of things to plug in and dorm rooms notoriously don’t have enough plugs.
5. Bedside Shelf – This is a great item for things that you want to keep within reach such as your phone, laptop and more!
6. Utility Cart – You can never have enough storage so having a cute utility cart for your things will help you stay organized and have a place to put all your stuff!
7. Desk Organizer/Charging Station – Keep all your pens and more organized while charging your phone! A great item to have for your dorm desk!
8. Space Saving Hangers – If you are like me, you have lots of clothes! And unfortunately dorms don’t have walk-in closets! Ha! So in order to fit as many clothes in your closet as possible, space-saving hangers are a must!
9. Over The Door Hook – This item is not only cute but perfect for hanging up your towels or jackets!
10. Black Out Curtains – You may want to block out that early morning sun and dorms don’t typically come with window coverings! Black out curtains and a rod that doesn’t require drilling into the walls are great for dorm rooms.
11. Under Bed Storage – By now you see a theme…dorm rooms do not have enough storage! ha! So any storage containers you can get…get!! These under the bed bins on wheels are a great thing to have for extra storage!
12. Mattress Topper – Your bed will most likely be your sanctuary so you want to make it as comfortable as possible! A mattress topper will help you make your bed a cozy place to rest!
13. Steamer – Going out, rushing, class presentations and more will require you to look your best so make sure your clothes are not wrinkled by having a steamer for your dorm.
14. Fan – It can get hot in a dorm especially if you are going to school anywhere in the south! A fan that attaches to your bed will help you stay cool!
15. Full Length Mirror – Be sure to get a full length mirror so you can make sure you always look good! 🙂
Dorm Room Essentials
May 24, 2022
Be the first to comment