Want to know the best season for senior photos in Greenville, SC? The truth is there is no best season, no one season fits all. It all depends on you! But there are better seasons for different reasons!
One of the best things about being a senior photographer in Greenville is the ability to photograph clients 8+ months of the year. Because we live in South Carolina where the weather is mild most of the year, we can shoot in any season. So how do you decide which season is best for your senior photos?
Below I’m listing the pros and cons of each season to help you determine what season will work best for you. And I’m sharing examples of senior photos in Greenville each season of the year.
But before you get into the pros and cons, be sure to ask yourself a few questions to help you decide the best season for you…
Questions to ask yourself
- What vision do I have for my senior photos and what season will help give me that vision? Do you envision oranges, greens, yellows in the background? Then fall would work best. Maybe you envision lots of green in the background and if so, spring would work best.
- What type of clothing do I love most? Do you like sundresses and sandals? Then maybe summer or spring would work best. Do you love jeans, sweaters, jackets and boots? Then fall or winter would be best.
- What is your personal schedule like? When are you the busiest? Overall, seniors are busiest in the spring with spring break, prom, graduation, etc. But you may have additional things in your schedule at different times of year such as sports that will determine when you are the busiest.
- When do you need the photos? If you are submitting a photo to the yearbook for an ad, then you may need your photos before a specific deadline which is usually late fall or winter. If you are using your photos for a graduation party, then you will need to receive your photos in plenty of time to mail out the invitations. So determine when you need your photos and back up from there to determine what season is best.
- What season do you like best? We all have a favorite season! Ask yourself what yours is and plan on that season for your senior session.
Pros and Cons
After you ask yourself these questions, read the pros and cons below and you will be able to determine the best season for your senior photos!
Summer is often overlooked as a possible season to have senior photos taken because its before you actually start your senior year. However, it is a great season to have senior photos taken because you can stay ahead of the game and get a major to-do list item checked off your list before school even starts. And another benefit to having a summer shoot, warm weather, summer tans and the possibilities of going to a cool destination for your senior photos.
- perfect if you want your summer tan in the photos
- long days
- beautiful sunsets
- more dates available
- great for destination shoots because you have more time to travel to a great location
- perfect if you love summer clothing – dresses, shorts, tanks, etc
- cross it off your to do list before senior year gets crazy
- can be hot and humid
- may feel too early because you haven’t started your senior year yet
- you may be busy with vacation, summer job, etc
This is actually one of my favorite seasons for senior photos. It’s such an exciting time because you just started your senior year, the weather is cooling off and the colors are beautiful. Imagine senior photos with beautiful greens, yellows, oranges in the background and you will find that fall is the best time to capture that.
- seniors are not as busy in the fall so more time available for photos
- more availability than spring
- will get your photos in time to meet the yearbook ad deadline
- cross off your senior to do list
- mild temperatures
- beautiful colors in background
- can combine warm and cool weather styles
- days get shorter so will have to shoot earlier in the day
- if you play a fall sport you may be busy
- if you don’t love fall clothing, this may not work best for you
Winters are very mild in Greenville, which makes winter photoshoots a great option. In early December, you can still get fall colors in the background and often times warm days. Late winter is a great option if you are considering a very urban type setting for your photos because we don’t have to worry about how the trees and other things in nature are looking.
- more availability
- perfect if you love winter clothing like sweaters and jackets
- seniors aren’t as busy as in other months
- days can be darker and light limited
- could be cold
- if you want tress and nature in background, they could be dead looking in winter
Spring is one of the most popular seasons for senior photos. The weather is warm and everything is starting to bloom again which makes a beautiful backdrop for photos. However, spring is also the busiest season for both seniors and all they have going on right before graduation and photographers. So available dates are more limited during this season and reschedules are likely because of spring rain.
- lots of green for background
- days get longer for nice sunset shoots
- nature begins to bloom
- perfect if you love spring fashion such as sundresses and sandals
- if you want photos as close to graduation as possible
- lots of reschedules due to weather!
- seniors are at their absolute busiest during spring
- limited dates available because this is the busiest season
- pollen for those with allergies
- if you have to reschedule, may not get photos as early as you want for graduation invitations or announcements
No matter which season works best for you, I would love to take your photos! Just remember to schedule your photos 2-3 months ahead of the season you want them taken so you can be sure to get on my calendar!! Click below to get started planning your senior photoshoot!
Best Season for Senior Photos Greenville, SC
July 29, 2022